It was time to start working on the eyes in earnest. I decided to run a test using clay before committing myself to stuff like Milliput. I worked on the upper part of one of the eyes.
Here's a front view
And here's a three quarter view
I also heated the cheek area on each side and pushed out those hollows a bit. There was still quite a way to go but I didn't want to push my luck. Finally, you might notice that I'd had a look at the thin side of the mouth and done a test to thicken it up.
Next day, I rechecked my work and found a pretty surprising thing had happened. I seem to have ended up changing medium from Milliput to clay:
I had planed to just test the layout of the inside of the eyes but after the amount of work it took to get things looking right, I just couldn't rip the clay out again. So it now seemed that this project will not only be about learning to sculpt a bit but also how to cast the result. I still planned on using the existing helmet though since underneath my clay there lurks a Rubies and that fact will be obvious still.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.